Saturday, July 17, 2010

...alarming!



i HATE alarm clocks! i tried the dingle-a-ling one, the buzzzzzing one the la-dee-dah music one and even a talking clock. yikes! who wants to wake up to a stranger in your room with a yucky computer voice telling you to get up. no way!

it doesn’t matter which one i have ‘cause all of them have the same evil purpose and that’s to jar me outta dreamland and wake me up when i don’t wanna wake up. it’s my own fault. after all, who set that stupid alarm anyway? i did! what was i thinking? why am i letting a loud mouthed alarm clock get me up when i don’t want to get up? that’s self abuse for sure! and, isn’t one booming blast of abuse enough? NO! i can take more! just watch me push that handy dandy little snooze button and torture myself every ten minutes until I finally give up. geeeez! how dumb is that?!

think about this. the word “alarm” itself sounds scary. i don’t think waking up when the alarm goes off is supposed to be an emergency. where’s the fire? where’s the flood? and, why do we say the alarm “goes off” anyway?? doesn’t that sound sorta mean and angry? “alarm goes off!” yikes! i don’t want to be jarred awake by something that “goes off.” nope! i want to wake up slow and easy, take some time to open my eyes and rub the sleep out of them, yawn, stretch and crawl out of my bed at a snail's pace.

my mom used to call the alarm clock “the devils own invention.” i didn’t know what she meant til i had to start using one myself. eeeeek! the devil is alive and living in my alarm clock! i hate to admit it but i gotta tell you ive killed off a lot of those evil clocks. i smashed one against the wall, smothered a couple under my pillow, pitched one right out the window and drowned one in the sink. every time i get rid of one some nice person gets me another one. gosh thanks! how nice! oh i just love it! you’re sooo thoughtful. aarrgh!

the best alarm i ever had was my mom! she’d call out in a soft, cheery voice “time to get up. come on sleepy head get up.” what could be sweeter than waking up to mom’s voice. and, she’d come back and do it all over again until i got up. what's even better is when i finally rolled out of my warm, cozy bed and stumbled out my bedroom door, still half asleep, she was there and gave me a warm good morning hug. i’d close my eyes and wish i could go back to sleep right there in her arms.

i guess having my very own alarm clock means i’m growing up and being a lot more responsible for myself. i hate to say it, but, like everyone else, i need that devil to jar me out of dreamland. ugh! i HATE alarm clocks!

(thanks to my brother for editing this so it reads lots better.)

…hugs and smiles from lenny

21 comments:

  1. I don't like alarm clocke either, Lenny. My husband has an internal alarm clock. He gets up at 5 almost every day. If I was to go to bed without setting an alarm, I wouldn't wake up until noon.

    Thanks for joining in on the fun on my random questions blog party...I forgot to subscribe to it last night, so I can't reply to everyone's comments. :(

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE alarm clocks! Thanks for linking me in the side bar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alarm clocks are the worst! I use the alarm on my phone and now I press snooze while I sleep and don't realize it until I wake up. And then I sometimes find my phone in weird place too. Like under my bed, under my pillow, in between the pages of a book on my headboard. I guess instead of sleepwalking I sleepsnooze.and hide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lenny,
    Wow, can I so relate to this. Then there's the dreaded 'snooze' button, of course. Push the 'snooze' enough times and before you know it, well in my case, it was almost time to go back to bed again :-)
    zzzzzzzzz..WAKE UP GARY!!
    Great posting, Lenny. Hope you have an awesome weekend. Kind wishes, Gary :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ALARM CLOCKS STINK!!! I wish I could get away with not having them, unfortunately 5AM comes all to quickly so I have to use mine so I can make money to pay those bills we get whether we like it or not. Ugh... yuck!

    Have an awesome weekend Lenny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, growing up is hard, Lenny, but you are making a great job of it, keep up the good work! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alarm clocks are annoying. I set mine everyday but usually wake up just before it goes off. MUCH better than to have to hear that jarring "beep beep beep"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never thought about that before, but you're right - the word "alarm" does sound scary. And why do we say they "go off"? The whole thing has very negative connotations. Luckily I'm an early riser, and I very rarely set an alarm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't agree more! The devil incarnate for sure. Your mother is a smart woman.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I dislike alarm clocks, too! The worst is when my husband and I accidentally set multiple ones at the same general times--and we hit snooze over and over. His goes off, then mine, then his goes off again, then mine! Eventually, we just have to get up!

    Ugh! Great post Lenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those mornings when I wake up on my own, minutes before the alarm sounds. Those are the best days!

    ((hugs)) Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate alarm clocks too....I have two of them because sometimes I'll sleep through the first. Okay, maybe I don't really hate alarm clocks. it's the getting up that I hate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lenny--You won a random daily prize over at my blog! Will you email me your whole name and address so I can send it to you?

    Thanks for joining in every day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Lenny,
    I have a very well deserved 'The Versatile Blogger Award', waiting for you over at my site.
    Well done and hope you are having a great weekend.
    Kind regards, Gary :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Lenny - glad I found you through Gary. I have the coolest app called Alarm Clock on my Mac that wakes me gently and slowly with a song I pick and it starts reallllly quiet and slowwwwly gets a little bit louder. It's the perfect beginning to my day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lenny I love the love you are giving Candyland! Awesome blog support, I'm loving the poster you created :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hear you about alarm clocks! But I don't really mind the nature noise ones. Nothing better than waking up to frogs croaking or water running. :o)

    Have a great day, Lenny! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that banner you made for Candyland's contest!! It's awesome, Lenny!

    Oh, and I'm not fond of alarm clocks either. They remind me of having to get up and do that ugly thing called work.

    ~JD

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lenny--You just won a random daily prize at my 18 day blog party...FYI, I already have your address. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yes. My alarm clock makes a tiny little almost imperceptible *click* half a second before it goes off. If I haven't already woken up two minutes earlier - which I usually have - that always wakes me up, because my subconscious is just that well trained to avoid hearing that infernal alarm!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I understand only too well how annoying these things are. I used to put mine on the other side of the room so I had to get up to turn it off, otherwise I'd just hit snooze & go back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete

Whatever wonderful, witty and wise words you manage to come up with!