Catch the wind

Catch the wind

Friday, February 13, 2015

...toilet tissue trivia

TOILET PAPER is something we all need and use (hopefully).  butt ... how much do you really know about the stuff you use every day???  check out these cool facts...
IT'S A FIRST! the first recorded use of toilet paper was in 6th century China.  by the 14th century the Chinese were mass producing it.
BETTER LATE THAN NEVER! packaged TP wasn’t sold in the states until 1857. the guy who introduced it, Joseph Gayetty, had his name printed on every sheet.  yikes! who’d who’d wanna see this guy staring at you every time you use the toilet. ack!

HANDY-WIPES??  at some time or other people used these handy items in place of TP:  water, hay, corncobs, leaves, sticks, stones, sand moss, hemp, wool, husks, fruit peels, ferns, sponges, seashells, and broken pottery.  broken pottery??! YIKES!! you gotta be kidding!
IT’S THE SHEETZ!  the average American uses about 57 sheets of TP a day.  that’s 399 a week, 1,996 a month and 19,152 a year. an average family will flush almost 80,000 sheets a year.
NOVEL IDEA!  Koji Suzuki, the Japanese horror novelist best known for writing The Ring, had an entire novel printed on a single roll of toilet paper. the story takes place in a public bathroom and the whole thing is about three feet long.
DESERT PATROL! during Desert Storm, the US Army used toilet paper to camouflage its tanks. check it out. there really is camouflage TP.
WOOD YOU BELIEVE! making TP for the whole world uses almost 30,000 trees every day. that’s 10 million trees a year!
STOP THIEF!  seven percent of Americans admit to stealing rolls of toilet paper from hotels and motels. that's just the ones who admit it. no comment!
OUCH! It wasn’t until 1935 that manufacturers promised “Splinter-Free Toilet Paper.”
DON’T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT! when people were asked what’s the most important thing they would take if they were going to a desert island... 49 % said TP. umm... what about food??? water??? mosquito spray???
PAWS TO PLAY! it’s a fact that cats believe toilet paper is a special toy installed in the bathroom just for them to play with. if they need a little fun time all they have to do is take a quick trip to the bathroom. check out this fun VIDEO.
HISTORY! there was a toilet paper museum in Wisconsin called The Madison Museum of Toilet Tissue, but it closed in 2000.  what a shame.  for sure that would have been number 1 on my list of places to visit. duh!
DESIGNER TP! there’s a contest sponsored by Charmin to design and make wedding dresses out of toilet paper. the winner gets $2,000.  if you want to see some of the cool creations click the word DRESS.
AND...FOR THE RICH AND FAMOUS!  the most expensive toilet paper in the world is the Portuguese brand Renova. it’s three-ply, perfumed, costs $3 per roll and comes in lots of colors including black, red, blue and green.  
OVER OR UNDER? about two-thirds of Americans prefer their toilet paper to come off the roll over the top.  by the way...under the roll people are considered be more intelligent.  who figures out this stuff???
CELEBRATE! for sure any product this important should have a special day. it does! August 26th is "National Toilet Paper Day"
WHAT ABOUT YOU?  are you an over or under TP person??
...hugs from Lenny
sources: buzzfeed and stuff4kids



33 comments:

  1. This is such an informative post. It is kind of funny too. My husband is a big fan of toilet tissues. We can never be low on the supplies. In our house hold we have the "Over" preference. Again it is my husband's choice.
    Also, it is funny how they have a National Toilet Paper day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I visited a Roman fort in England. They used sponges on sticks as TP. Here's the gross part...when they finished wiping they placed them back in a stone water basin for the next guy to use. Ick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great bit of history here, Lenny! I never wood've guessed all that, butt I sure enjoyed reading it. :-)

    I'm definitely an over person. And I've never made a dress with TP, but it sure makes for good bookmarks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew about corncobs being used as tp, and that's bad enough. But seashells and broken pottery?! Painful!

    I never paid any attention to the way I hung my toilet roll until I got married and my husband insisted it had to be OVER. So now I pay attention to make him happy.

    My daughters are too lazy to hang their rolls. They just leave them on top of the tank. Did the researchers have an intelligence rating for that, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lenny, that is quite an informative post about toilet paper. I'm an under the roll type of person. I don't think I'd ever spend $3 on a roll of toilet paper that is just going to eventually be flushed down the toilet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved learning all the interesting facts abut toilet paper. Yikes, we use a lot each day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi GrandBlogSon - I think I might forget that August 26th is Toilet Tissue day?! It's usually round a bank holiday here ... so ..

    I'm an over the top roller type of person ... hate it the other way! This will be fun ... and I'll take it up to the Nursing Centre - they'll enjoy reading it and having a laugh ...

    Amazing facts you've uncovered ... you could have mentioned the Romans enjoying their ablutions on a bench with holes punched through - they all sit and chat ... while ... I suspect they didn't have papyrus or whatever came next as the centuries rolled towards paper products ... perhaps the Romans used leaves ... who knows?!

    What a cheery subject - great fun though ... and yes don't we use an awful lot of paper and thus trees - not good ... but we do recycle much - how much toilet paper I'm not sure - and I'm not sure I want to find out how?!

    Big hugs and am glad you're feeling easier ... cheers GrandBlogMom aka Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too funny! I'm very, very glad they're improved TP to the point that we have no splinters!!! Yikes :)
    I think this would make a great speech topic for our local schools' speech competition!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lenny,
    I came via Hilary to wish you Get Well Soon! and can see why you two get on so well! I love how you both filter the world and make facts FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lot of interesting information you have found and shared in your usual fun way, Lenny. I'm an over the top person, even if more intelligent people do the other way. I'm also very glad I live in a time with soft, comfortable tp!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lenny, I love your posts. They're always informative and funny. I had no idea there was camouflage TP. But I knew there was a Toilet Paper Museum in Wisconsin until 2000 because I wanted to have a TP Museum in my current novel and had to do some research.

    Oh, and I'm definitely an over the top person.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with you on the mosquito spray on a desert island. Especially after I've read your post, I know what I can use in place of TP. Ha! Such a funny post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just came by to read your post again since I enjoyed it so much, Lenny. Thanks for making me smile again. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that is a lot of toilet paper facts! I love how when i stop in, I always learn something new! :) Hope you are having a terrific week, Lenny!

    ReplyDelete
  15. TP or not TP. That is the question.
    Fun facts, Lenny!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stopping by to say hello and to wish you a Happy Birthday! Thinking of and praying for you. :)

    Thanks for the tp facts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm also stopping by to wish you an early happy birthday. Miss your posts. Thinking of you. Sending lots of sunny thoughts. xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Munir sent me over to wish you a Happy Birthday! But I got the gift of knowledge about TP! Hey, we're "over" people here at the Pines! (Butt...then again we've never been to smart around here!) Hope you're birthday was great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hiya Lenny! I'm coming over to widh you well and say please come back to blogging! We all miss you!

    Denise Covey November co-host IWSG

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are missed, Lenny! Come back to cyberspace. Love Blom

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just wanted to wish you a belated Happy Birthday! I don't blog (or read blogs) as much as I used to, so I'm kind of out of the loop. I enjoyed your post on TP, though. I'm an under TP person because it's harder for cats and kids to unroll the whole thing in seconds that way. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Lenny - we all would love to see you back here ... it's fun having you around ... it's firework day here - bet you'd love them ... and then there'll be more over the weekend! Guy Fawkes - thankfully he didn't succeed in blowing up Parliament.

    Have a great end of the week ... big hugs from GlandBlogMom ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Lenny. I found you through Sharon Mayhew and I am glad I did. Thinking of you and hoping you are doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just stopping by to say HI to let you know we are thinking of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. We miss you, Lenny! Had to stop by and let you know how much we all miss you here. Sending many prayers and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am cringing thinking about TP that DOESN'T promise to be splinter free! Ouch, indeed!!

    And what a great post. I miss your insight. I miss your perspective. You see things that others don't. Hugs! ~Miss Janet

    ReplyDelete
  27. Missing you and hope you will feel up to posting something soon. Your posts are always so special, just as you are, Lenny. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  28. YO! Where are you? I miss the dickens out of you. I'm gonna give you a call. I NEED to hear your voice. And could you start blogging again? Hey. That could be my Christmas present. Okay? A blog post from you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. YO! Where are you? I miss the dickens out of you. I'm gonna give you a call. I NEED to hear your voice. And could you start blogging again? Hey. That could be my Christmas present. Okay? A blog post from you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. YIKES! IT'S BEEN A WHOLE YEAR SINCE YOU BLOGGED! We miss your sunny voice... Love Blom

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ha! Exactly how homo'BOMBa is literally RAPING the American culture!! Lemme fill-you-up withe avant-gardeness and wisdom necessary to achieve Seventh-Heaven, dood...

    Wanna find-out the fax, Jak, in a wurld fulla the POW!er of Cowards? Wanna wiseabove to help a 'Plethora Of Wurdz' [POW!] which are look'n for a new home in your novelty??

    Q: But [gulp] can anyone tell me the difference between K2 plus IQ? A: Nthn. In Heaven, we gitt'm both for eternity HeeHee Need a few more thots, ideers, wild wurdz (whoa, Nelly! easy, girl) or ironclad iconoclasms?

    VERBUM SAT SAPIENTI: As an ex-writer of the sassy, savvy, schizophenia we all go thro in this lifelong demise, I wanna help U.S. git past the ping-pong-politics, the whorizontal more!ass! we're in (Latin: words to [the] wise)...

    "This finite existence is only a test, son," God Almighty told me in my coma. "Far beyond thy earthly tempest is where you'll find tangible, corpulent eloquence". Lemme tella youse without d'New Joisey accent...

    I actually saw Seventh-Heaven when we died: you couldn't GET! any moe curly, party-hardy-endorphins, extravagantly-surplus-lush Upstairs (in [the] end without end -Saint Augustine) when my o-so-beautifull, brilliant, bombastic girly passed-away due to those wry, sardonic satires.

    "Those who are wise will shine as brightly as the expanse of the Heavens, and those who have instructed many in uprightousness as bright as stars for all eternity" -Daniel 12:3, NJB

    Here's also what the prolific, exquisite GODy sed: 'the more you shall honor Me, the more I shall bless you' -the Infant Jesus of Prague.

    Go gitt'm, girl. You're incredible. See you Upstairs. I won't be joining'm in the nasty Abyss where Isis prowls
    thesuperseedoftime.blogspot.com
    infowars.com
    -YOUTHwitheTRUTH
    -------------------------------
    PS Need summore unique, uncivilized, useless names? Lemme gonna gitcha started, brudda:

    Oak Woods, Franky Sparks, Athena Noble, Autumn Rose, Faith Bishop, Dolly Martin, Willow Rhodes, Cocoa Major, Roman Stone, Bullwark Burnhart, Magnus Wilde, Kardiak Arrest, Will Wright, Goldy Silvers, Penelope Summers, Sophie Sharp, Violet Snow, Lizzy Roach, BoxxaRoxx, Aunty Dotey, Romero Stark, Zacharia Neptoo, Mercurio Morrissey, Fritz & Felix Franz, Victor Payne, Isabella Silverstein, Mercedes Kennedy, Redding Rust, Phoenix Martini, Ivy Squire, Sauer Wolfe, Yankee Cooky, -blessed b9 ...shake well B4 use!

    God blessa youse
    (trust-N-Jesus)
    -Fr. Sarducci, ol SNL

    ReplyDelete
  32. My kitten, Midnight, certainly believes I placed the toilet paper in the bathroom for his very special play toy! Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. :-)

    ReplyDelete

whatever wonderful, warm, witty and wise words you manage to come up with!