Catch the wind

Catch the wind

Wednesday, January 07, 2015

…cool new year’s facts


heres some cool new years facts you might not know...
ancient history! the first ever recorded new year was celebrated 4,000 years ago by the ancient babylonians.
drivers beware!! the two biggest days of the year for car theft are new year's eve and new year's day!  more vehicles are stolen on new year’s day than any other holiday!
go red! in italy, people wear red underwear on new year’s day to bring good luck all year long.
lucky vs yucky foods!  on new years day eat black eyed peas, ham and cabbage. they’ll bring you good luck. don’t eat lobster ‘cause they move backwards or chicken ‘cause they scratch backward and eating them will cause reverse and that's bad luck.
kiss me!…ack! according to old english and german forklore, the first person you come across and how you greet him/her in the new year will set the tone for the next 12 months. so…be sure to give him/her/it a HUGE HUG and a BIG SMOOCHEROO!! and, for couples…if you don’t lock lips at midnight your relationship might not be so bright the rest of the year. ugh!
numero uno!!   the first place on earth to ring in the start of 2015 is the island of kiritimati (aka christmas island) in the pacific. “kukurei boou rikiri!” that’s happy new year in gilbertese, the language of the island.
waaaa it’s past my bedtime! using a baby to signify the new year began in ancient greece around 600 B.C.
watch it!  the most-watched new year's eve broadcast in the world is "dick clark's new year's rockin' eve." it started in 1972 with just a couple cameras and a skeleton crew and still keeps on rocking to this day.
crystal ball!  in 1907 (3 years after the first times square new year’s celebration) fireworks were banned and instead, officials lowered a 700 pound iron and wood ball from a flagpole. today’s ball weighs 11,875 pounds, has 32, 256 led lights and 2,688 crystals.
keep your eye on the ball!  over one billion people worldwide watch the times square ball drop every year.
scare 'em away! noise making and fireworks on new year's eve is believed to have originated in ancient times when noise and fire were thought to dispel evil spirits and bring good luck.
the BIG BANG!  dubai holds the record for the world’s largest ever new year’s fireworks display. 479,651 shells were fired off in just six minutes at a rate of almost 80k shells per minute and 1,332 fireworks per second. the world record was broken within the first minute.
you can do it! well…maybe not.  the most popular new year’s resolution is to lose weight.  sadly, by march, or even before, most everyone has given up. UGH!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
…hugs from lenny

16 comments:

  1. Oh poo - I missed out on what the peeps in Italy do on New Year's Eve. Note to self for next year.

    Great post, Lenny! As always, you find the most interesting info. Have a wonderful 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Lenny! I learned a lot about New Year traditions I didn't know from your post. And hopefully I'll be one of those who keeps up with my exercise goals in March.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lenny - Happy New Year and great to see you posting. The way you eat .. losing weight with expando pants is not on the cards!!

    I love the incongruity of your statement "over one billion people worldwide watch The Times Square ball drop every year." ... square and ball don't seem to sit well together!

    About one seventh of the world's population watch that ball drop! Huge numbers ...

    Have a very happy year ahead and all the very best for 2015 ... muchooos smackers from GrandBlogMom!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying to remember if I "locked lips" with my husband write at midnight on New Year's Eve ... Uh oh, I hope we did!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not kiss anyone at midnight in my home on New Year's Eve! Everyone was sleeping! Ha ha! But my son did kiss me when midnight hit NY! Fun facts, Lenny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Lenny. Thanks for sharing those interesting New Years facts. Happy 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, my comment didn't go up when I did it on my phone. :(

    I would love to go to Dubai for New Year's Eve someday. It sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing all these facts, Lenny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha, love these facts, Lenny. You're the best at digging up facts. You need to write some NF picture books.

    Love the KISS ME...ACK! Hehehe.You ALWAYS make me smile. ALWAYS.

    Happy New Year. It's going to be a great one, Lenny. I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year to you too! I am a bit late to the party, but still wishing you well for 2015.:) You always make me smile. Thank you for enlightening us on these interesting and fun facts. I learned some things today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know any of these facts. Thank you!

    I keep meaning to start that New Year's losing weight resolution. Maybe by March....

    Happy New Year, Lenny!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! These are great! I was in bed by 9 on New Year's Eve :/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Lenny! I've nominated you for an award. If you stop by my blog, you can pick it up.
    http://susannedrazic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ack! I can't believe I missed this post. These are some fascinating facts, Lenny. Happy 2015 to you! I think I've been watching Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve almost since it started.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thought I had commented on this but don't see it. Love your post, Lenny! You always come up with some interesting and unusual facts, and your posts never fail to make me smile. Big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lenny, it's been a while! Would like to see a fresh post from you, just so we know you are doing all right.

    ReplyDelete

whatever wonderful, warm, witty and wise words you manage to come up with!