Catch the wind

Catch the wind

Wednesday, December 03, 2014

...cool christmas facts


heres a few COOL CHRISTMAS FACTS you might not know…

faster than a speeding bullet scientists figured out that on christmas eve for santa to deliver gifts all over the world (adding in all the time zones and miles) he’d have to deliver gifts to 823 homes per second. and poor rudolph and the reindeer gang will have to fly 650 miles a second. “Up on the rooftop reindeer pause…” i don’t think so! ha ha.  hmmm…wonder what kinda scientists spend their time figuring this stuff out??

oooh christmas tree… the tallest live christmas tree in america is in a little place called coeur d’alene in idaho. you ready for this??  it’s 161 FEET TALL!! for sure i don’t wanna be the one to climb up and put the star on top.

need some vitamin C?  eat your christmas tree! …at least the needles. they’re a good source of abscorbic acid.

oink!... before turkey, the traditional christmas meal in england was a pig's head and mustard. ooh yum!!! yeech!

let it snow... what to do with all that snow? build a snowman of course! residents of bethel, maine, usa, and surrounding towns did just that. they built a snow woman measuring 122 FEET 1 INCH TALL!!  she’s in the guinness book of world records!!

spaced out christmas song… jingle bells was the first song broadcast from space when gemini 6 astronauts tom stafford and wally schirra sang it on december 16, 1965.

a real hit... the bestselling christmas  single ever is bing crosby's white christmas. its sold over 50 million copies worldwide since 1942.

no way... mistletoe (Viscum album) is from the anglo-saxon word misteltan, which means “little dung twig” because the plant spreads though bird droppings. oh yah! for sure that’ll make you wanna stand under the mistletoe. ugh! ha ha.

runny nose... norwegian scientists have hypothesized that rudolph’s red nose is probably the result of a parasitic infection of his respiratory system. new name… rudolph the runny nose reindeer. yep! more scientists at work.

honk!... the germans made the first artificial christmas trees out of dyed goose feathers. honk!

go green!...  well…maybe not. ugh! household waste increases by 25 percent between thanksgiving and new year’s day. In the united states. trash from wrapping paper and shopping bags totals 4 million tons.

snail mail… the u. s. postal service delivers 20 billion cards and packages between thanksgiving and christmas eve.

ouch!... an average of 5,800 people end up in the emergency room after suffering injuries from holiday decorating. be careful!!!

boy oh boy!...  hmm...maybe not. most of santa’s reindeer have male-sounding names like, comet, cupid, donner and blitzen. but… male reindeers shed their antlers around christmas, so the reindeer pulling santa’s sleigh are probably females.  …on comette, on cupette, on donna and blitzina…  ha ha!

had enough???  ok!  now all that’s left to do is wish all my blogger friends and their families

                              HAPPY HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

…hugs from lenny

30 comments:

  1. Lenny, this is hysterical!

    NO pausing for the reindeer on rooftops, and that's just as well. We don't want Rudolph spreading his runny nose parasite. Ugh! (or Rudolphette, as the case may be)

    As for the first Christmas song broadcast from space in 1965, I was around for that, but I doubt I was listening since I was only a few months old at the time.

    Thanks for the Christmas giggles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have spent a lot of time finding all these facts! They are good fun!

    I was born a few weeks before that Christmas song was broadcast in space. Pretty neat facts!

    Have a very Merry Christmas, my dear friend.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun facts!!!
    Hope you have a wonderful holiday, Lenny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love the facts. You cool fact digger upper you! (I wonder what my family will say when they see me eating the tree?) Hehehe.

    Have the best, the most wonderful, FANTASTICAL Christmas in the whole wide world! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lenny! I've been super busy, but I'm glad to see you blogging and feeling the Christmas spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful facts! I think some of those scientists need to get a REAL life or a REAL job! And maybe the cold and flu season can be totally blamed on Rudolph.

    Hope you get to have a sip of guava berry wine over the holidays. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all these facts! We have a house up by Coeur d'Alene. When we go up for Christmas I'm going to have to find that tree and take a picture for you!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lenny - those are fun .. and I can quite see you're not going to be a scientist .. they waste too much time worrying about Santa Claus!!

    Poor Santa the older he gets the more people in the world pop along .. so now he's nearly checking out 7 billion of them - or Master Scientist - have we passed that population figure!!

    Mistletoe - it's an amazing plant ... and was much loved by us early Anglo-Saxons - mind you always good for a snog now ... but I suspect you don't think much of those either!!

    Christmas trees, tall snowmen - how did they build one 122 feet high .. amazing .. I must get to thinking about Christmas ..

    But wonderful to see you up and blogging again .. nearly time for holidays?!! Big hugs - GrandBlogMom xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are some fantastic facts. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy holidays, Lenny! I can't believe people get injured from DECORATING! I guess many in the States have really tall trees? And they fall off their ladders when trying to add the star or angel to the top? :) So glad to see you blogging, Lenny, we've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Holidays, Lenny! And a very, very belated birthday hug--two days after mine! This space cadet is putting you in her calendar. These are some crazy facts! I can't say I'd ever eat a pig heads with mustard. Ever. Anyway, HUGE bisous (a double cheeked kiss) from France. Hoping you have an amazing holiday season! Cheers. xox Sam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved all the cool facts. Though I'm not sure I want to wrap presents now. Thanks for posting this and Happy Holidays! Hope 2015 is the year you blog more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you've got a post up. What a fun read!

    Except the Go Green part. What sobering stats. I used to cringe at the amount of excess packaging from my kids' presents when they were smaller. I use reusable shopping bags and cloth napkins + we compost. I try to minimize the waste, especially during this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL! You've brought cheer to my day. I will definitely think twice before standing under the mistletoe! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy fast reindeer!!! But I think I'll pass on eating the tree needles. Yuck. Have a wonderful Christmas, Lenny! It's so good to see you hear again. <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing the great information, Lenny. It's fun reading these facts and your comments about them. Your posts are always a delight! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and 2015 will be a really good year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I'll never look at mistletoe and reindeer the same way again. Scientists are the coolest. Also, about going green, I wrap presents in Sunday comics - that way if they don't like the present, they still get a laugh. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whoa! I have been to Couer D'Alene Idaho. It's lovely! I didn't see that tree though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are great! I'm so hungry, I'm going to eat some Christmas tree now. Missssss you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, what interesting facts, Lenny! I live only a couple hours away from Coeur D’Alene! I better try and go see that Christmas tree this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lenny, hello! Merry Christmas! My son has really bad allergies so there will be no "little dung twigs" hanging in our house! Ha, ha! What a great post! Miss you, kiddo! Hope you're doing awesome! Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, Lenny! Thanks for sharing all of these Christmas facts. I'll have to share them with my guys. Great to see you blogging again. : )

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, Lenny, these are interesting facts, most of these I didn't know, so I thank you for filling me in. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I will pass on the pig's head as well! Thanks for sharing these fun and interesting facts, Lenny. Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm Australian, but I've visited Coeur d'Alene a few times, as I have friends there, and also it's the 'turning point' before we head up to Canada to visit my brother in B.C. I do not remember seeing such a tall Christmas tree, though! I'll have to check it out next time I'm in the area around this time of year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lenny,

    Thanks for the beautiful Christmas card! Blessings, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm just checking on you, Lenny. I have an email almost ready to send to you. (It's as long as a book.) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much for my card. I have been so bad about cards the last few years. Now you've inspired. Maybe I'll make it in time for a New Year card....

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lots of fascinating facts here! Who would've ever guessed that New Year's Day, and New Year's Eve were the most popular times to get your car stolen.

    Lenny, your Grandblogmom sent me over. I hope you're feeling better. Sending lots of warm wishes, and good thoughts for a speedy recovery! You always send lots of good cheer to others, and now we're cheering you on, Lenny!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

whatever wonderful, warm, witty and wise words you manage to come up with!